the stamps of SAAR
At the end of the 1st world war in 1918 the Saar was occupied by french tropps to be subordinated according to the Versailler peace treaty to the League of Nations. After a plebiscite in 1935, this country, situated in the southwest of Germany, was integrated again into the German empire. After the french occuppataion at the end of the 2nd world war in 1945 the Saarland became in 1947 largely independent to be even member of the Council of Europe.
In 1955 another plebiscite determined the affiliation of Saarland to the Federal Republic of Germany from 1957 on. Many stamps of the Saar, issued until 1959, reflect the regional, traditionally German French culture.